Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Constructivism

Using prior knowledge is a biggie when teaching concepts students already know about and your just building upon.  In the article "Are You Tapping into Prior Knowledge Often Enough in Your Classroom?" Rebecca Alber talks about various ways teachers can tap this knowledge to make things easier for both teacher and student.  Complete a K-W-L chart, make a concept web together, introduce picture books related to the subject being taught, or show a picture related to the topic and brainstorm together about it.  


I've tried most of these with my students, and although you are creating new knowledge based on old information (constructivism), some students just won't participate and don't care.  Even if its a part of the lesson.  A few years back, my district decided to require pre- and post-assessment data for all units taught.  Mainly this was for the principal or superintendent to look at and see how the kids were doing.  At first I wasn't too keen on the idea of more testing, but I started to use it as "what do my kids know before I teach this unit?"  It helped.  I was able to look at the data and particular questions and breeze through certain topics which would of took me a day to review, and then spend more time on the new, harder information.  Students were hesitate at first with the pre-assessments, assuming it wasn't worth any points.  Once informing them my reasoning and it was participation they began to understand.  If it was a unit on the water cycle, something they've been taught since early elementary, for notes I was able to create a concept web with the class on the board.  Quick and easy!  And then I created a gallery walk, reviewing the information and introducing a few new gases such a nitrogen and carbon.  The students preferred this over notes, or questions in the book since it was more hands-on and interactive.  And they retained the information better!  Students also liked to see their post-assessment grade since they could see how much they improved.  Its amazing what a little number will do and how testing prior knowledge will help!

1 comment:

  1. I think most schools have moved to the pre and post assessment models in theory, but not all are following through. Like you the first thought is arh... more work, but when you are able to sit back as a group of educators teaching the same subject and discuss results of students you are able to identify strengths and weaknesses of not only the students but also yourself. Post assessments have truly helped me become a better teacher.

    It helps to know also that not all pre assessments have to be a test. I like to use KWL charts or open ended questions or discussions.

    ReplyDelete