Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Google Plus Causing Problems for Photographers
Should Photographers Worry about Google Plus? is an article about photographers giving up all their photo rights to Google when photos are uploaded to their site. Unless you take the time to read the Terms & Conditions, you would miss this very important information. Any photographer takes photos to express their view on the world or just for fun. Photography is my hobby and I get upset when friends copy my pictures off my Flickr site without permission. When you upload your photos to Google Plus, you give up all your rights to Google. Google then has the right to reproduce, change and use your photo for anything they want. You wouldn't know this unless you read the fine print. I think Google should be more upfront with this information since photography is a livelihood for many people. It is either a main job or side job, and a good source of income. So giving up the rights to a picture can be devastating especially if its a spectacular one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Isn't it funny that so many giants that we rely on as a source of information are often the ones who will take our work and then not give credit where it is due (whether monetary or just recognition). Unfortunately so many of the big World Wide Web giants have that fine print that many of us, who I am kidding most of us breeze over, and unless we read it closely or have someone point it out, we are likely to not pay attention. I have been burned in the past by fine print, as a result I have now started checking the fine print.
ReplyDeleteI also started checking the fine print, especially when companies are offering the "Free iPads." I would love one, but not at the cost of you giving my email address to a third party. I'm still trying to stop all the spam I now get!
ReplyDelete