End of the world movies tend to be very eerie. As a science teacher, my husband hates seeing movies like "The Day After Tomorrow" or "2012" since I tend to judge the film throughout its viewing. He gets annoyed with my comments... "that can't happen." But I enjoy watching them. It makes you think about your time on the planet. But I tell you what, I probably won't be seeing "The Rise of the Planet of the Apes." Too creepy and realistic for me!
Science has made many things possible for our species. We've traveled to the moon, send satellites to Jupiter, sent tiny cameras into the human body, and tried to create the Big Bang with a 6 mile long particle collider. But its also destroys a lot. Guns, bombs, wars, nuclear power plants are just a few. In the past 6 months Japan has dealt with nuclear power issues. Capturing the massive power released from decaying elements is a feat amongst itself, but its very dangerous. Japan was compared to Chenobyl, a place I remember talking about in history class, and briefly in science. It was an event that took place with I was only 4 years old and means almost nothing to the kids today. The earthquake and events afterwards were great to talk about in my Earth Science class, but the kids didn't get it. An event that made the world hold their breath, but didn't make a teenager blink... doesn't surprise me, since it didn't directly effect them. In Pictures: Chernobyl Wilderness makes you stop and wonder, "what if that happened in Monroe or another US town?" Its mind boggling! The pictures are amazing. So much left behind, so much affected.
No comments:
Post a Comment